You will hear a bunch of stuff like do not access sensitive data via public Wi-Fi or use a strong password but what can protect you from hackers?
- All users need to use strong and unique passwords
Passwords should contain letters, numbers, and symbols. Whenever possible, avoid using information that can be easily guessed, like your name or birth date. Managed IT Services Mississauga will instruct the clients to do the same.
Why are strong passwords important?
- Protecting sensitive information: Passwords can be used to protect sensitive data, including financial information, personal information, and business secrets.
- Preventing unauthorized access: Strong passwords make it harder for unauthorized individuals to guess or crack the passwords, preventing unauthorized access.
- Protecting from brute-force attacks: Brute-force attacks are automated attempts to guess a password by trying many different combinations. Strong passwords, with a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols, are more resistant to brute-force attacks.
- Keeping accounts secure: An attacker using an account can steal information, send spam, or do other malicious things with it. A strong password makes it more difficult for an attacker to take over an account.
- Complying with regulations: There are regulations requiring strong passwords in some industries, such as finance and healthcare.
- Keep all software updated
The latest software updates often contain security fixes to address known vulnerabilities. Maintaining up-to-date software and devices is something you should always do. IT Outsourcing Services will ensure this is all handled proactively. This is key if asking what can protect you from hackers?
Why is it important to keep software updated?
- Security: Software updates often include security patches that fix known vulnerabilities. You can help protect your devices and data by keeping your software up to date.
- Functionality: Updates can also improve the performance and functionality of software. As a result, the overall functionality of the software can be enhanced, the user experience can be improved, and efficiency can be increased.
- Compatibility: By updating your software, you can also ensure compatibility with other software and systems. By doing this, you can avoid compatibility issues and errors that can cause problems and slow down your devices.
- Compliance: To ensure security standards and protection of sensitive information, regulations are in place for certain industries, such as healthcare and finance.
- Use caution opening email attachments or clicking links
Hackers often spread malware through malicious emails. Trusted sources should not send you attachments or links. Your Tech Support Services, IT Support Services, or IT department should have cyber security measures in place to protect you and your company. Another important part if asking what can protect you from hackers?
Why are email attachments or clicking links dangerous?
- Malware: Malicious attachments can contain viruses, Trojan horses, or other types of malwares that can infect your computer or steal sensitive data. This is important when asking what can protect you from hackers?
- Phishing attacks: Phishing attacks are emails that are designed to trick you into revealing sensitive information, such as passwords or financial information. The attacker may include a link in the email that takes you to a fake website that looks like a legitimate site but is controlled by the attacker.
- Ransomware: Ransomware is a malware that encrypts your files and demands payment in exchange for the decryption key. Infecting your computer with ransomware can be spread through email attachments or links.
- Spread of malicious software: Malware can be spread via email attachments or links. It can damage not only your own computer but also the computers of others on your network.
- Use a managed next generation business-class firewall
Blocking unauthorized access to your computer or network is possible with a firewall. Most of there are proactively supported by Managed IT Services provider or Outsourced IT Support Toronto providers.
What are managed next generation business-class firewalls?
Firewalls with next-generation features (NGFWs) provide enhanced security compared to traditional firewalls.
- Advanced threat protection: To detect and prevent cyber threats, NGFWs use advanced threat protection technologies, such as intrusion prevention systems (IPSs) and anti-virus/anti-malware protection.
- Deep packet Inspection: Deep packet inspection allows NGFWs to identify and block malicious traffic before it enters the network by analyzing network traffic at the application layer.
- Application control: Network-based firewalls allow administrators to limit access to certain websites and applications, preventing employees from accessing potentially harmful content.
- User Identity Awareness: NGFWs can integrate with directory services, such as Active Directory, to identify and enforce policies based on users’ roles and locations.
- Improved performance: Next-generation firewalls provide high-performance network security with low latency.
- Comprehensive reporting: Network security appliances provide comprehensive reporting, analysis, and alert functionality that help you understand your network’s behavior and identify potential threats.
- Use managed next generation antivirus software with artificial intelligence
By scanning and removing harmful software, antivirus software protects your computer from malware. This would be proactive to ensure you do not have to use your Business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR).
What is managed next generation antivirus software with artificial intelligence?
Next-generation antivirus (NGAV) is a type of antivirus software that provides advanced protection against cyber threats. Unlike traditional antivirus software, NGAV uses advanced technologies, such as artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning, to detect and prevent cyber threats in real-time.
- Advanced threat detection: NGAV uses advanced technologies, such as artificial intelligence and machine learning, to detect and prevent a wider range of cyber threats, such as zero-day threats, malware, and advanced persistent threats.
- Real-time protection: New Generation Anti-Virus provides real-time protection against cyber threats, detecting and blocking threats immediately.
- Behavioral analysis: NGAV analyzes software and applications’ behavior to detect and prevent malicious activity, even if signature-based antivirus software does not recognize the threat.
- Cloud-based protection: NGAV uses cloud-based threat intelligence and data sharing to provide enhanced cyber threat protection, including regional or industry-specific threats.
- Integration with other security tools: The NGAV can be integrated with firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, and other security tools to provide a comprehensive security solution.
- Use caution with public Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi networks in public places are often less secure than those in private places. When using public Wi-Fi, avoid conducting sensitive activities, such as online banking. Any Managed IT Services in Toronto provider will make their clients aware of this risk.
Why is public wifi dangerous and you should proceed with caution?
In addition to being convenient and free, public Wi-Fi can also be dangerous for several reasons:
Lack of encryption: Many public Wi-Fi networks are not encrypted, so data transmitted over them can be intercepted by hackers or eavesdroppers. Passwords, financial information, and personal information are included in this category.
Fake Wi-Fi networks: Hackers can set up fake Wi-Fi networks that mimic legitimate networks, tricking users into connecting. A hacker can steal sensitive information or infect a device with malware once connected.
Man-in-the-middle attacks: A man-in-the-middle attack is when a hacker intercepts and manipulates communication between two parties. The result is that sensitive information can be stolen, or malware can be spread. The lack of encryption and authentication makes public Wi-Fi networks particularly vulnerable to MitM attacks.
Malicious websites: You can download malware-infected software through public Wi-Fi networks, putting your device and sensitive information at risk.
Under the CyberSecure Canada program, 365 iT SOLUTIONS is federally certified and award winning Managed IT Services Toronto.
Check if your credentials have been compromised with our complimentary data breach scan.
What can protect you from hackers?
As a leading Toronto IT consulting firm, 365 iT SOLUTIONS provides a wide range of services, including managed IT services, tech support services, Cloud Services, Managed Security Services, support services, IT Outsourcing Toronto, business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR), and Cyber Security Training and Dark Web Monitoring.
We Make IT Simple!