Do you know what Internet Privacy is? Everyone browses the internet however very few understand what privacy is especially if you want to protect sensitive data and maximize your computer privacy online.
What does Internet Privacy mean?
Internet privacy is the privacy and security level of personal data published via the Internet and it is a very broad term that refers to a variety of factors including techniques and technologies used to protect sensitive and private data, communications and personal preferences.
Internet privacy is very important to business owners and managed IT services providers as e-commerce continues to grow and gain traction with impressive offerings online. All businesses and users are concerned about privacy violations and threats as the risk of information falling into cybercriminals hands is great.
Internet privacy is big concern as any user planning to make an online purchase, visit a social networking site, participate in online games or even as simple as attend forums, your privacy must be protected. If a user password is compromised and revealed to cyber criminals, a victim’s identity may be fraudulently used or stolen.
Remember what a happen when eBay was hit by cyber criminals? Check out 365 iT SOLUTIONS technical blog article for more details “For Sale: Hackers Selling eBay Logins Online”.
What is the risk of Internet Privacy?
Tech support services departments and outsourced IT professionals are always trying to stay ahead of the curve and limit a companies and user exposure to the internet. Here is a list of some of the issues companies have to consider when trying to protect data and information.
- Phishing is used to steal secure user data, including username, password, bank account number, security PIN, social insurance number and/or credit card number.
- Pharming is used to redirect a legitimate website visitor to a different IP address.
- Spyware obtains data without a user’s consent and when the computer is online, it will send the data.
- Malware is used to damage online and offline computer users through Trojans, viruses and spyware.
So how do you protect yourself and your Internet Privacy?
Ask any IT professional and they will tell you that education is the greatest way to avoid risks. But here are some additional steps to follow if you want to protect your business and personal information.
- Always use preventative software applications, such as anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spam and firewalls
- Always avoid shopping on unreliable websites. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
- Always avoid exposing personal data on websites with lower security levels.
- Always ensure website are reputable and using “https” instead of “http”.
- Clear the browser’s cache and browsing history on a consistent basis to ensure the browser is clear.
- Always, repeat, always use very strong passwords consisting of letters, numerals and special characters and never repeat a password.
Is your company secure and protected from Internet Privacy issues?
365 iT SOLUTIONS proactively protects managed services networks from the latest threats which maximizes uptime and security while reducing your online exposure.
Put your company to the test with our Complimentary Network and Security Audit or give us a call at 416-398-9889 and we can chat!