Media coverage regarding WannaCry ransomware has taken over however you can be safe.
Good news is that if your business is using a SonicWALL next-generation firewall with active Gateway Security Services, you have been protected from this ransomware since April 20, 2017.
The WannaCry ransomware attack was massive and has shut down a number of hospitals in the National Health Service (NHS) system. This prevented patients in the UK from receiving care. This version of ransomware is leveraging an exploit named EternalBlue.
Microsoft released a patch on March 14 as this attack affects versions of the Windows operating system prior to Windows 10. You should ensure your IT department or managed IT services is providing proactive patch maintenance and patch management.
A few simple tips to keep you safe from Ransomware:
- Were you expecting an invoice or email from this person/company? If no, reach out to your company rep or the person who appears to have sent it.
- If an email comes from a source you’ve never seen with attachments, chances are it’s fake.
- If there is a link in the email, move the mouse cursor over it and wait for a second. It will show you where the link *actually* goes. If fake, it will have an address that looks legitimate such as g00gle.ca or passwordreset.apple.somesrandomsite.com
- When in doubt, check with your IT department or IT consultant.
- Always keep all systems and applications up-to-date through proactive patching
- Maintain strong, trust-only access controls using the principle of least privilege
- Maintain a strongly tested backup strategy and store backups offline
- Utilize and enforce strong passwords with mandatory expiry
- Restrict physical access to network appliances to trusted administrators only
- Educate users through a robust proactive security awareness program
- Establish and maintain a breach response plan
It is important to remember that ransomware can spread through remote access connections, email attachments, and infected websites. You should always use caution when opening emails that contain attachments from people you may not recognize.
Our complimentary network and security assessment can put your IT infrastructure and business to the test.
365 iT SOLUTIONS is Toronto’s leading IT consulting boutique firm. We deliver industry leading IT solutions with our Canadian team delivering Managed IT Services, IT Support Services, IT Outsourcing Services, Tech Support Services and Cloud Services.