Many think Windows is always suffering from vulnerabilities including security however a recent study shows Windows beat Apple iOS, Apple OS X and Linux. Now that is interesting news.
According to recent report by the US National Vulnerability Database (NVD), Windows actually scored better than the other systems when it came to security.
According to the report, OS X leads the pack followed by iOS, Linux, Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Vista, and Windows RT.
Since we are in the managed IT services industry the following stats are interesting as we are constantly trying to proactively manage and protect networks as well as educate corporate users.
- Last year there were 7,038 vulnerabilities registered that works out to 19 per day.
- Over 80 percent come from third-party applications.
- Over 13 percent from operating systems.
- Over 4 percent via hardware devices.
- In 2013, there were 4,794 vulnerabilities and in 2014 the number jumped to 7,038.
According to the report, OS X was found to be the leader in vulnerabilities at 147 total, followed by iOS at 127, Linux at 119, Windows Server 2008 at 38 and Windows 7 had 36. Notably, NVD is counting all the versions of OS X together.
Now this may be a win for Windows after years of being considered to be the most vulnerable operating systems around however the battle is not won as Microsoft’s Internet Explorer is on top when it comes to application vulnerability but it is good to see that Microsoft is on the right track.
No matter what software you use, there is one common issue with third party application vulnerabilities.
In order to protect yourself you must take a proactive approach:
- Keep you systems updated with the most recent patches and updates.
- Install an active security suite including antivirus, malware and other items.
- Never install unknown applications or software.
- Practice safe browsing and implement safe browsing practice.
- Implement an active firewall with a security suite on it.
365 iT SOLUTIONS is an industry leader that understands that technology can be expensive however it does not have to be that way. Using a proactive managed services approach allows you to predict and budget monthly IT costs and eliminate uncertainties of your IT network and IT budget.
With our proactive managed services program, you will access 100% Canadian team that cover your entire network for a flat predictable monthly fee.