Many think ransomware only affects large corporations however cybersecurity tips for small businesses in Toronto will cover these crucial steps.
According to a recent survey, over 20 percent of small businesses have been attacked. Out of the 20 percent, almost 50 percent of the small businesses said they had implemented defenses against cyberattacks and ransomware.
Cyber threat bulletin: The ransomware threat in 2021 from Canadian Centre for Cyber Security.
What Are Cybersecurity Tips for Small Businesses?
Business owners do not adequately protect themselves from cyberattacks, and they are becoming more sophisticated and frequent. If you are working with a Managed IT Services in Toronto provider or Managed Security Services, they will be able to provide you with details on how they are protecting you.
Small businesses should pay attention to the following cybersecurity tips:
- Proactively Update Software – Adding new updates is not the only reason you are asked to update your system software. To make your system more secure, a lot of work is being done. You may want to pick a day for updating so that you don’t forget. Managed IT Services Toronto providers will proactively do all that for you.
- Use Multi-factor Authentication (mfa) – An effective way to avoid cyberattacks is to use multi-factor authentication. The benefit of this is that if a cybercriminal or hacker is not able to access the specific code from your phone when you log in, they can’t access your account. You can enhance your small businesses cybersecurity by using multi-factor authentication every time you log in and ensuring your data is as secure as possible. Managed IT Services Mississauga can assist in setting this up for your business.
- Use a Strong Password – When it comes to finding passwords, hackers are getting better every day and they can purchase them on the darkweb. The most effective way to combat this is to use complex passwords. Employees should understand the importance of strong passwords, follow best practices, and follow your company’s password policy. Cyber Security Training and Dark Web Monitoring can help proactively monitor the dark web to ensure there is no compromised passwords.
- Proactive Employee Training – People are the weakest link in every cybersecurity approach to a business. Hackers are becoming more skilled at targeting and attacking employees. Phishing attacks allow a hacker to impersonate a person’s speech. Educating employees on what to look for can benefit a company in the long run. Tech Support Services can help your employees stay safe by providing active support on strange links and emails.
- Use Proactive Data Backups – For data that needs to be stored with your employees, data security is critical. In such scenarios, encrypted USBs and secure cloud backups can help ensure that sensitive data can be stored and shared securely. For any small business, securing data backups and recovery resilience is crucial. In addition to stealing your data, harmful threats and hackers can also encrypt or wipe it with ransomware. Businesses need to ensure they have a tested Business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR)in place with their Outsourced IT Support Toronto.
- Proactive WiFi Security – Small business wireless networks must be protected. Use strong passwords and data encryption techniques to ensure that all devices connected to the network are secure. As some attacks have come through insecure company Wi-Fi, it is imperative to maintain a strong and hidden Wi-Fi presence for the sake of protecting the business from Wi-Fi attacks. Your IT Support Services can ensure using Cloud Services that you are following industry best practices.
- Use Secure Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) – Employees can securely access a company’s network from abroad with a VPN. Company employees frequently access the internet on networks that may not be as secure as the company’s network. Since VPNs encrypt data, they help lessen the consequences of a cyberattack. They will provide an additional layer of protection for employees. Managed IT Servicesprovider will use this with Multi-factor Authentication (2FA) to ensure your small business has the strongest protection from cyberattacks.
- Implement a Corporate Cybersecurity Policy – The three most critical areas of cybersecurity defense – people, technology, and policy. Small businesses should look for a complimentary data breach scan from a CyberSecure Canada provider in Toronto. It is imperative to ensure that your organization covers all three and more to achieve the necessary level of protection.
- Create an Incident Response Plan – As a response to phishing scams and ransomware, each business should develop strategies and plans to minimize the impact of a hack with their IT Outsourcing Services This way, you are not surprised when it comes, and you can nip it in the bud before it’s too late. By integrating and controlling your network, apps, and endpoints in the cloud, we help businesses amplify and solidify their security efforts.
365 iT SOLUTIONS is an award-winning managed IT services provider in Toronto that is CyberSecure Canada certified.
When working with a Toronto managed IT services provider, they will be able to proactively address all the cyber security tips listed above.
Our award winning IT Outsourcing Toronto comes complete with Managed IT Services, IT Outsourcing Services, Managed Security Services, Tech Support Services, Cyber Security Training, Dark Web Monitoring, Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (BCDR), IT Support Services, and Cloud Services.
We Make IT Simple!