365 iT SOLUTIONS is proud to offer ransomware and cyber security news review for October 2020 in order to help keep organizations informed of the latest cyber threats.
Why should you be concerned about cyber security? Simple. It is projected that a business is attacked by a cybercriminal every 11 seconds and damage from these cyber security attacks can hit over $20 billion by 2021.
There will be many organizations making the cyber security news headlines if cyber security policies and procedures are not changed.
Here are the highlights of Ransomware and Cyber Security News Review for October 2020:
- Philadelphia based eResearchTechnology (ERT) was a victim to a ransomware attack based on clinical trials being run to develop COVID-19 tests, treatments, and a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Ardonagh Group which is UK’s second largest privately owned insurance broker was force to shut down and suspend over 200 internal accounts with admin privileges as the cyber security threat progressed through their IT infrastructure.
- Daniel B. Hastings is a Texas based customs broker and freight forwarder with specialize service of moving cargo across the U.S.-Mexico border. They experienced a cyber security breach where cyber criminals hacked the company files and posted them online. It is reported this was done by the Conti ransomware hackers.
- Hall County Government in Georgia was the next victim. While officials didn’t release details of how the attack happened or what was being done to resolve it, government offices including the courthouse, community centers, and the sheriff’s precincts were experiencing issues with phone and email services. It is thought that no employee or resident data had been compromised.
- Springfield Public Schools in Massachusetts is one of the largest school boards and they were attacked causing them to shut down all systems and closed the schools to prevent spread of the cyberattack.
- Daseke the US trucking company was another organization hit by the Conti ransomware hacker group by them exposing thousands of internal documents including personal information of their drivers and other sensitive data was posted to the Dark Web.
- The Lake George Land Conservancy in New York was hit with a ransomware attack on its internal network however they revealed that no sensitive donor data was compromised, and all data was backed up. They did not pay the ransom as they have the proper setup.
- Crytek is a German based game developer and they suffered a cyberattack by the Egregor ransomware group resulting in encryption of devices as well as leaked data on the dark web.
- Stats Perform suffered a cybersecurity ransomware attack during college football causing issues at daily fantasy sports sites including FanDuel, DraftKings, and other gaming sites.
- Barnes and Noble made headlines when they experienced a number of outages due to cybercriminal activity which led to some online customers from being able to access their libraries. Other customers experienced a complete lock out from the platform.
- Dickinson County Healthcare System were the victims to another cyberattack that gave access to computer systems across its hospital and clinics without consent. The hospital is working still working with IT security experts including forensic experts to determine the full impact of the cyberattack.
- The Société de transport de Montréal (STM) that is the Montreal public transport agency had hackers demand a ransom of $2.8 million US to restore network operations however no data was leaked. Bleeping Computer reported that the RansomExx hacker group was responsible for the cyberattack.
- Sopra Steria is an IT outsourcing company that was also struck by a cyberattack as their Windows active directory had been compromised by hackers linked to the Ryuk malware group.
- Steelcase Furniture the world’s largest office furniture manufacturer and they also were hit by the Ryuk hacker group which shutdown their entire IT infrastructure network.
- Lawrence Health System in New York was forced to divert ambulances after a ransomware attack hit three hospitals.
Have Your Passwords Been Stolen in a Data Breach?
Try our free data breach scan today and start protecting yourself from cybercriminals.
Going to the cloud or worried about security?
We are your leading Cloud Services Providers Toronto and Managed Security Services Toronto.
365 iT SOLUTIONS is Toronto’s leading IT consulting boutique firm offering industry leading IT solutions including Managed IT Services, Managed Security Services, IT Support Services, IT Outsourcing Services, Tech Support Services, Cloud Services, Business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR), and Cyber Security Training and Dark Web Monitoring.
We Make IT Simple!