IT support professionals have a difficult time to get workers to take BYOD policies seriously. “Bring Your Own Devices,” or BYOD is big in the business community. IT support departments are constantly trying to keep networks safe and secure. Many companies are responding with strict policies and even termination.
A recent survey has produced some interesting facts:
- 15% of employees believe they are not responsible to protect data on their personal devices.
- Over 50% of those surveyed have more than six third-party apps on their BYOD products
- 15% have had their personal account or password compromised.
- 43% percent have accessed sensitive corporate data while on an unsecured public network.
- Majority of employees don’t report lost or stolen BYODs thus leaving corporate data exposed.
So what should companies do to address this issue?
- Employee education about BYOD risks is usually the quick and easy answer.
- Some companies are taking the threat very serious and attaching BYOD security policy. This will affect employee performance reviews, compensation and possible termination.