A recent study from a web security firm has shown that the healthcare industry security threats have risen over the past years compared to other industries.
During 2014, they identified a 600 percent increase in cyber-attacks against hospitals within a 10-month period. They also examined the cyber-criminal attacks and uncovered information regarding effective cyber-attack tools, techniques and are impacting the healthcare industry.
Here are some interesting facts regarding security threats on the healthcare industry:
- The healthcare industry has seen 340 percent more security threats than any other industry.
- Medical information is 10 times more valuable on the black market making healthcare a major target.
- Healthcare organizations carry a proliferation of electronic health records which creates a data-heavy environment giving cyber criminals an enormous area to attack.
- The healthcare industry is four times more likely to be impacted by advanced malware.
- With limited budgets, lack of IT skills or internal IT department, many healthcare organizations lack the skill and knowledge necessary to detect, mitigate and prevent cyber-attacks.
- The healthcare industry is 74 percent more likely to be impacted by phishing schemes as there is a lack of effective security awareness training and employee security training.
- Healthcare is more likely to be impacted by CryptoWall and Dyre. Dyre malware can cause a significant amount of data loss while CryptoWall encrypts and holds your data hostage.
Are you in healthcare and is your business exposed to cyber criminals?
Our Complimentary Network and Security Assessment will give you a complete picture of your IT infrastructure including how your technology matches your business goals, gaps in security and how technology can help increase profits and productivity.