Cyber-security is a moving target resulting in hackers increasing amount of fake emails to businesses in order to defraud.
Recently, a leading next-generation cybersecurity company released its findings from analyzing more than 600 million emails with alarming results.
- Targeted email attacks to businesses increased 85% from the same time last year.
- Targeted phishing links sent through social media platforms are up by 30%.
- Contributors and lower-level management account for approximately 60% of targeted attacks.
- Operations and production resulted in 23% of targeted cyber-attack victims
- Client and/or customer support fraud increased by 400% from the previous year.
Email cyber-attacks are becoming very well engineered. Cyber criminals are showing an increase level or planning and sophistication when it comes to emails and spoofing.
Two very popular cyber-crime techniques include the following:
- Web crawling that is a program or automated script that browses the web in a methodical, automated manner.
- Web scraping is used to collect key information using the Hypertext Transfer Protocol, or through a web browser.
Organizations must remember there are no shortcuts when it comes to security problems and protection. Cyber security comes down to multiple factors including a layered approach to security of the network.
As a leading Microsoft Gold partner in Toronto, we have many clients using various cloud services including Microsoft 365, Azure, and other line of business applications.
Here are some products and services you should consider for protecting your organization against fake emails to businesses:
- SonicWALL next-gen firewalls. A next-generation firewall is a traditional firewall with other network device filtering functionalities, such as an application firewall using in-line deep packet inspection (DPI), an intrusion prevention system (IPS), anti-virus and many other security and performance services.
- Microsoft Exchange Online Protection. Offers Microsoft 365 and Microsoft email online enterprise-class reliability and protect against spam and malware, while maintaining access to email during and after emergencies. It adds a layer of protection features that are deployed across a global network of datacenters, helping you simplify the administration of your messaging environments.
- Microsoft 365 Advanced Threat Protection. Protects against unsafe attachments and expanding protection against malicious links. It can help protect your Microsoft 365 mailboxes, files, online storage, and applications against new, sophisticated attacks in real time. It offers holistic cyber protection in Microsoft Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, SharePoint Online, and OneDrive for Business.
Cyber security is a moving target and it should be a multi layered approach. Hackers increasing amount of fake emails to businesses is on the rise but you can reduce your risk.
Our complimentary network and security assessment can put your IT infrastructure and business to the test.
365 iT SOLUTIONS is Toronto’s leading IT consulting boutique firm offering industry leading IT solutions including Managed IT Services, IT Support Services, IT Outsourcing Services, Tech Support Services and Cloud Services.