You have heard of CryptoLocker well now there is CryptoWall. IT support service professionals are constantly keeping networks up-to-date and secure however this new version of CryptoWall has been released and it is beginning to infecting users at an alarming rate.
Crypto Malware – A Trojan horse that infects systems and holds data and systems hostage.
All Crypto malware is locking important files with a strong encryption. When infested, you will see a pop-up window informing you that you have a set amount of time to pay for a key which will unlock the encryption. If you do not pay before the deadline, your files may be deleted.
CryptoLocker versus CryptoWall
CryptoWall, it is commonly found in zipped folders and PDF files sent over email. Most emails with the malware are disguised as invoices, bills and other business messages that we people are likely to open as they think it is safe.
CryptoWall can securely delete files. The encryption has increased security which ensures the files are deleted. This leaves infected users two options: pay the ransom or retrieving the file from a backup, if available.
How do I protect from CryptoWall?
- Do not open any suspicious attachments, period.
- Check each email and look for odd items such as spelling mistake, long string of characters or odd domain name extensions.
- Do not open emails from unknown sources especially if are providing business oriented information including bank statements, accounting statements or bills from a utilities companies.
- Backup your files. You should have a backup of all information. If possible, you should have a local and offsite backup of all your data.
- Ensure your systems are up-to-date and running an active Anti-virus. Your business should also be using a business class firewall with Gateway Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Intrusion Prevention and Content Filtering Service.
- Use trusted IT consulting professionals. Look for industry leading Managed IT Services providers (MSP), IT Support Services or outsourced IT to help keep your business running and secure.