Back in July 2010, Microsoft went from providing mainstream support for Windows Server 2003 to releasing critical patches only. Now, on July 14, 2015, Microsoft will end support for Windows Server 2003 R2. The date may seem far however businesses need to understand what end of support is to their business and how to plan a migration of all applications and workloads currently relying on Windows Server 2003 onto Windows Server 2012 R2 or Microsoft Azure.
End-of-Support for Windows Server 2003 R2 means:
- No updates – Will be developed or released after the end of support.
- No compliance – And lack of compliance with standards and regulations can be devastating.
- No safe haven – Because virtualized and physical instances of Windows Server 2003 will be vulnerable.
Businesses need to start planning to migrate off of Windows Server 2003 and onto a platform that will provide them with security and reliability. Windows Server 2012 R2 offers everything a business needs as well as the hybrid opportunities available to you with Microsoft Azure.
Delaying will only create additional expenses, and ‘rigging’ your environments to detect intrusion, inclusion of more advanced firewalls, network segmentation, and so on, to simply isolate Windows Server 2003 R2 servers will only result in a datacenter that costs more, and is still out of compliance, and out of date. Not to mention the maintenance costs for aging hardware… you’re just delaying your opportunity to transform.
365 iT SOLUTIONS will help with your server migration with the following steps:
- Assess Inventory. We will categorize and analyze the applications and workloads you cataloged based on factors that will help you make informed choices about priorities and urgency.
- Target Migration. The right migration destination for each application and workload since we take the opportunity to learn how you can transform your IT infrastructure by using Windows Server 2012 R2, Microsoft Azure and Microsoft Microsoft 365.
- We will develop a plan and begin to migrate your infrastructure. As your partner, we will explain the migration options and how we will support you the entire way.