Bring your own device (BYOD) is a huge security risk that can no longer be ignored as the number of employees using their own device increases daily.
A couple of years ago, companies had to either embrace or reject Bring your own device (BYOD) however business managers must consult with their IT consulting partners so they are aware of the advantages and disadvantages of Bring your own device (BYOD).
Advantages of Bring your own device (BYOD)
- BYOD gives a greater sense of autonomy and responsibility as they feel they have more responsibility.
- BYOD policies give employees greater flexibility by enabling them to choose their own smart device.
- BYOD makes employees more productive even when away from the office.
- BYOD reduces IT budgets as they do not have to purchase smart devices.
Disadvantages of Bring your own device (BYOD)
- BYOD can be difficult for businesses to control their own data when they do not own the smart device.
- BYOD can be difficult for businesses to enforce password security and firewall protection.
- BYOD can be difficult for businesses if the smart device is lost or stolen with sensitive business information.
Companies should work with their tech support services or managed IT services provider to discuss all options when implementing Bring your own device (BYOD). You should address your security and various Bring your own device (BYOD) variations such as CYOD (choose your own device) and COPE (corporate owned, personally enabled). These options place restrictions on the smart devices that employees can use for work therefore giving the business greater control and allowing employees a degree of mobility.
There are several options when it comes to mobile device management (MDM) software however you should turn to a trusted IT consulting partner to weigh out your options.
365 iT SOLUTIONS is Toronto’s leading IT consulting firm offering a Complimentary Network and Security Audit. We deliver industry leading Managed IT Services, IT Support Services, IT Outsourcing Services, Tech Support Services and Cloud Services.